So, some dear friends and family have been asking for a belly shot. The fact that I actually took one and posted it should let those of you who asked for this know just how much I care about you. Taking photos isn't at the the top of my list right now- especially from the side view. But I'm embracing this little belly because inside it lies Little B. So, enjoy-- this is me proving that yes, I have a bump. Cherish this pic, because I'm not sure when you'll get another one :) I'm kidding. But this is what I look like going itno Week #24 (almost 6 months along).
Now, for whats going on inside this camoflauged bump... According to the Mayo Clinic & Parents Magazine, Little B is now about 1 1/2 lbs and a little less than a foot long in total length (crown to rump length is about 8 inches). They say "the baby is about the size of a small doll at this point." Hmmm, exactly what kind of doll are we talking about? A Strawberry Shortcake Doll? A Carebear? Barbie? Gem? Skipper? Raggity Ann? Please do tell!
There's much going on...including further lung development & "practice breathing" as the baby prepare for life outside of Hotel W. This will be ongoing be ongoing until Little B arrives. That's an important and continual development, as the lungs are the last part of the baby to fully mature before check out time from Hotel W.
In addition, this week, Little B's sense of balance starts to develop, as his/her inner ear is now fully developed. I surely hope that Little B's sense of balance is a lot better than mine, as I have tended to lean more towards "cute clutz" than "graceful swan." Fingers crossed that Little B gets Mike's sense of coordination. The baby still has plenty of room for acrobatics at this point, but now he/she can tell if she's/he's up-side-down or right-side-up as he/she flips and turns. Obviously, now that the ears are fully formed, Little B's sense of hearing is pretty good, so that's fun.
In addition, Little B's fingerprints & footprints are also forming, so that's neat. And his/her face is fully in place. Now its time for baby to bulk up, which is what begins to happen in the next couple of weeks. Little B is also getting into a more consistent sleep pattern (or so they say). On average the baby sleeps 12-14 hours a day at this point. The rest of the time is spent exploring and being playful.

2 comments:
Great picture of the little bump.
That Hotel W is a busy place...and B only sleeps 12-14 hours a day!?! I hope that the other 10 hours coordinate with your wake hours.
I still think it's pretty amazing that we know what is going on week by week. This whole creation of a human just amazes me
Love ya, Momma Jo
I know-- and trust me, its just like Santa Claus: "I know when Little B's sleeping. I know when he/she's awake..."
Post a Comment