Sunday, June 22, 2008

In Search of Safe & Sound Surroundings for Little B

We're at the point where its time to start picking out furniture and the like for Little B. Depending upon where we buy them, the crib et al (i.e. coordinating dresser & changing table) could take some weeks to arrive. I'm again back to the world of wide ranging varieties adn need some advice.

The cribs that seem to be getting a lot of our attention are the ones that convert into a toddler bed (with lowered guardrails) and then into the head/footboard for a full size bed. We already have the full size mattress that will be in Little B's room, so it just seems like a great plan. So, we're looking for this furniture to be with us for awhile. If/when (fingers crossed for good luck) Baby #2 comes a long some years from now, we're thinking that we'll purchase new furniture for them (that has the same longevity & convertiblity). With this being said, does it need to cost a small fortune?!?

Even though we've narrowed our crib options down to convertible variety, there's still an enormous range of prices. Furthermore, some come with professional assembly (and very high price tags) and others -still showing solid, high quality- require self assembly but are much more affordably priced.


I've heard & read that its advisable to purchase the furniture from a place that will deliver and assemble the nursery furniture for us. Why? Its not for ease, but to be sure that someone with experience puts the crib together correctly. Then, we can rest assured that the crib is sound and stable. That sound good and calming, but comes with quite a price tag. On one hand, we find ourselves saying "We're buying a crib here- it doesn't have to be an heirloom in the making. With that being said, it DOES definitely need to be safe and sturdy.

We're not trying to be cheap at all, but rather practical. I always like a great deal and enjoy feeling like I've paid a fair price for the quality of the product I've purchased. We've looked at a number of different stores, and I've heard a ton of sales pitches (including the one that play on my "self assembled" fears). And now they've really got me thinking.

Advice please! If you've recently been through the "nursery-creating experience" and can provide some insight, I'd really appreciate it! Just leave me a comment

I am so looking forward to creating a wonderful space for Little B...it just doesn't need to look like the picture below (which we could somewhat recreate for the low low price of $3,900). Good grief! Lets save investments like this for Little B's college fund! Don't get me wrong, its beautiful, but we're aiming for something a bit more practical...this is kid furniture, right?

nursery furniture

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, sweetheart, if you can get all of that furniture with assembly for under 4 grand, I think that's a pretty good deal. Remember, this furniture is designed to take Little B all the way through college.

Love ya.
Momma Jo

Kris said...

Great! So glad you say that--- because I now officially nominate you to buy these loverly items for Little B! KIDDING! Wink Wink!

Just joking-- I appreciate your feedback. The more moms I talk to, the more I'm finding that these cribs do get pretty beat up so maybe we'll look to get a nice dresser, but realize that the convertible crib might not be the best option b/c they might not hold up as well as we'd like them to. We'll see. Lucky for us, Little B isn't arriving next week, so we still have lots of time to plan! :)