Monday, June 9, 2008

Monthly Doctor Drive-By

Today I had my 3rd appt. I affectionately call it the "Monthly Dr Drive By" because these appointments are so frequent and are very quick. In these you have a consult with a nurse, you are weighed, have your blood pressure checked, pee in a cup, spend time with the doctor (which is great-- and they in no way rush you), and then get bloodwork done. Every month, its rinse and repeat. I'm not complaining-- b/c every time I get to feel better about Little B.

Everything looks great. My doctor found the heartbeat quite quickly-- then smiled and said "that's one strong baby." (My internal thought: Go Little B, Go!) He then said "You know you have nothing to worry about, right? Everything is pointing to a very healthy baby....I've been in your shoes, well my wife has, and know that it may still be hard to believe, but every test and check up we've done shows nothing but good developments."

I don't know exactly why he said this, but I seriously wanted to record it. Many parents want to tape the baby's heartbeat (which at some point, I think we may do), but for me, well, I wanted to record his statement of assurance and play that over a thousand times. Perhaps he was reading "concern" on my face or maybe he completely relates because he and his wife underwent IVF, or it may be further evidence of his excellent bedside manner. Or, maybe it was all three. He's just a great OB and knows exactly what to say to put a mom-to-be at ease.

They aren't particularly worried about the minor dizzy spells becuase we seem to have a good plan in place for when it does happen. At their recommendation, I always keep a juice box on me (and have a ton in the car) and drinking on of those does the trick They think Little B is just taking more than his/her fair share of my blood sugar. In addition, they are checking to see if the baby is causing me to be borderline anemic. Either of these scenarios is nothing to worry about. I just need to trach Little B how to share! These babies are amazing little creatures-- they know exactly how to get what they want...even inside Hotel W!

Sometimes I just want to pinch myself, b/c this pregnancy is a lot easier and a lot less stressful than I thought it would be. Some of you may be laughing at this statement b/c you've either heard, read, or witnessed me getting sick or get big-time shots or be exhausted. But I assure you, this has been way better than I thought it would be. I'm very at ease. From what previous doctors were telling me, I was anticipating quite a tedious & possibly riskier experience. Perhaps they were just trying to prepare me for the worst, hoping that I never faced it. Or maybe medical technology has dramatically improved since my surgery. Regardless, I'm thankful!


idk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup... it is a sense of relief to know that all is going well... and will be smooth sailing all the way.

:)

Mamma G.