Monday, June 16, 2008

Take me out to the Ballgame....


Fathers Day is always a fun weekend, not matter which father we're spending time with. Its always turns out to be a nice day with family and usually involves us going to a baseball game. We're both fortunate to have great dads as part of our terrrific sets of parents. Its a blessing that I always think about on Mothers & Fathers Day. I think about this a lot (we both do), especially when we are spending time with our parents, and always on the holidays that honor them.

This Father's Day is neat in a new way. Its the last one before we'll celebrate this holiday and not just honor our dads, but Mike will also have a little one honoring him. Granted, I'll probably be doing most of the "honoring" on behalf of our 7 month old, but still, you can understand my line of thinking. Its exciting to think about.

We really enjoyed the day...the company was fantastic (as always) but the game could have been better. The only things that were hot in the stadium were us (its was 94 degrees at gametime and we were sitting in direct sunlight), the seats, and the Redsox (boo). The Reds on the other hands were quite cold. But they're a young team and do show promise. And were were there to spend time with eachother, which can never be a bad thing.

Sports are also a big part of our families. When Mike & I first met and spent time around eachother's families, this was quite apparent. One time early on in our relationship, my brother made the funny, but somewhat true comment, "Kris was bred to date Mike." We do share a lot of simliar interests, including sports. Each year, we try to make it to a couple of baseball parks. This year its Yankees stadium (where I quietly rooted against the bombers), Great American Ballpark (where I wish I saw a better performance out of our Reds, and on the 4th of July its off to Camden Yards to catch my beloved Orioles.

We did happen to stroll into the gift shop before the game. We picked up a tiny, infant-size ball cap and a t-shirt that says "My 1st Reds Tee." They're pretty cute. They'll go very nicely with the Orioles stuff we'll be picking up for Little B when we're out in Baltimore. Thankfully, both Mike's & my favorite teams are in different leagues and will only meet up in the World Series and I think we'll have some time before that happens. Oh, and did I mention that we live in Cleveland. Little B is going to be confused when it comes to sports, but that's an entirely different post.
For now, its Happy Fathers Day to all the wonderful Dad's out there....especially ours-- we love you both very much!

No comments: