
What can I say-- this dog just rocks. Case in point-- this photo. Boomer is quite happy to be anywhere, travel to any destination, and do just about anything...as long as we're a part of it. Realizing that I'm partial, I'm still going to make the comment that he is one of the sweetest, happy-go-lucky dogs I know. He loves to go "bye-byes," head to the park, play (either with other dogs or with us humans) or to just chill.
And yes, he is going to be affected by our baby arriving this November, but I'm hoping not to the extent that a lot of people are telling me. I hear endless comments like "Boy is Boomer in for a shock when he's not #1" or "Once you have kids, the dog just sits on the sidelines." To that I say to myself "I sure hope not." Maybe that's what happens to many dogs-- I'm not doubting that and can understand how that happens naturally-- but I am going to work my best to make him feel just as loved as he does today. Granted, our time and attention will be more dispersed that it currently is, but evenutally there will also be one more person to love him. Doesn't that count? I know it will be tough, but I'm not ready for Boom to sit on the sidelines and I don't think that's the way it has to be.
He seems pretty happy just to be around us. So, if "us" goes from 2 to 3, isn't it possible that he may feel more appreciated and happy once we all adjust? I think it is possible-- if we work towards it. As I've grown up, our pets (dogs) have always been a big part of our family. They aren't just some animal, but instead an appreciated part of our loved ones. I'm not by any means saying that a dog is a child, because I know they don't even compare, but I also don't feel they are some toy that should be places on semi-retirement when we bring home our baby.
Yes, I know it will be a transition for Boomer. But newsflash, um, its gonna be a huge transition for all of us. We're doing research on how to properly socialize pet and baby in hopes that when we bring Little B home, it will be as enjoyable as possible for all of us....Fido included. Boomer's world will surely be rocked, but I'm pretty sure that Mikes & my worlds are going to be rocked even more-- and we consider this to be a pretty exciting "rocking of worlds" that we're very much looking forward to experiencing.
I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Just wanted to share my opinion, as we're all allowed to have them. I really hope in time that Boomer comes to love the new version of our family just as much as we do. And I'm hoping that Little B is as good of a traveler as Boomer is :) Ahh, if only he had a license and could drive us around...

No comments:
Post a Comment