Lets just say that I have so much respect for those in the medical industry. The classes we've taken this week have reminded me of exactly why I never went through with my aspiration to be a doctor at age six. All the ambition in the world doesn't mean that you have the stomache to handle it :) The childbirth education classes were quite informative-- and I'm very glad that we're doing them.
They are definitely serving their purpose. First, we know our way to the hospital forwards and backwards (even those of us more directionally challenged than others :)...and by "those of us" I am affectionately referring to the one of us who will be physically driving us to the hospital. In all seriousness, the actual courses are also helpful. We're pulling away advice and insight from each of them. Will we "live by the book" and apply everything we learn? No. One overwhelming theme in every discussion I've had with newer moms is that you cannot completely script out how your child's birth and early life will be. You can develop a plan, but must realize that it will change as each situation progresses. I am choosing to embrace the changing scenarios as we approach them.
As for pain management-- I'm still undecided. I've educated myself on what my options are, both through the classes we're taking and the books I've been reading. There are pros and cons that I'm still weighing out. Its very possible that I may not walk into the hospital on "the big day" with a decision that I refuse to budge on regarding epidurals etc. I may take a "wait and see" approach and make my choices in the moment. Mike supports me on whichever birthing method I end up choosing-- and that means a lot. What is reassuring is to have options and to know that billions of women have given birth and done just fine. Just because I'm a little squirmish at the thought of it, I'll be keeping my attention focused on the wonders that come as a result of the delivery process.
During one of the classes....right after we saw a video of a birth...I leaned over to Mike and said "Can we just fast forward to the part where I hold this clean and cuddly baby and all is well in the world?" I was kidding of course. I will be looking forward to that moment though...that's for sure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
And just think...back in the good ol' days there were no videos to watch and very little to read that would prepare you for the moment. So much has changed in the last 30 years.
Being prepared is key to making the birth the best it can be. Every birth is diffrent so you and your delivery crew will make decisions as the need arises. You can plan all you want but you have to be flexible as baby needs and mommy needs change.
And lastly, the pain endured with labor is one that nature lets you forget. It's funny, but when you talk about your labor experience with friends, the pain will be only a very small part of the conversation.
Thanks Mom-
Appreciate the advice-- I'm totally excited to get to the good stuff...which is what we're looking forward to. Is it November yet???
Dear Kris,
yes your momma Jo is right, stuff happens sometimes slowly and sometimes so fast in that labor room. Decisions are made as it is needed. I remembered actually CONSIDERING for a seconf to walk away when i was delivering Danny.. then i knew what the natural order had to be, no baby out, no going home. And yes, nature does let you forget it and even may make you remember it as funny at times...
Love
mamma-nonna G.
Post a Comment