Here's the funny thing. After a weekend full of parties and travelling, one would think that I'd come home, fall gently on the couch and stay right there for a long while. That's what I thought I'd do as I was headed back north on I-71 from Dayton/Columbus. In fact-- lounging for the entire afternoon was my plan. I was also planning on watching my beloved Bengals play a great game of football while I lounged in the basement fixated on our NFL Sunday Ticket (in between naps of course). As you can sense by my heightened level of sarcasm, this didn't happen either.
Instead, I picked up Boomer from the kennel and noticed he was particularly rambunctious. He was borderline wild with excitement to see me. So, instead of heading for the house, we headed for the field at our middle school. Boomer needed to run and it was just beautiful out. So I walked and Boomer ran in "figure eight" formations all over the athletic field. We were there for about an hour, and made it home for the Bengals kickoff. Operation Lounge on the Couch was imminent.
Within minutes, it was quite apparent that the experience of watching the game was not going to be an enjoyable one. So, I thought I'd just get some shut eye with Boomer on the couch. But just like its hard to not watch a trainwreck, its equally difficult to take your eyes off a game like the one the Bengals played yesterday. I continued to watch, hoping that I was in a bad dream. But I was clearly awake. My awakeness turned to alertness, which then combusted into frustration, which then transitioned into severe disappointment with a little anger sprinkled in. I'm afraid that this is going to be a "rinse & repeat" progression of emotions for the next 15 weeks-- that's how bad they played.
So, no napping for me. Had to get up and do something. I know....odd...it makes no sense. There I was exhausted and couldn't settle in on a perfectly good and comfortable couch. Even sleepy Boomer looked up at me like I was completely whacked when I got up. I got a burst of energy and wanted to get some stuff done. And this is literally after maybe getting a combined 12 hours of sleep on Friday and Saturday. Boomer was right, I was out of my mind :)
I can only chalk my energy burst to some sort of need to nest (or pre-nest, as this nesting instinct isn't supposed to rear its ugly head till very late in pregnancy). Here's what I did: I cleaned the kitchen, cleaned out the refigerator, put in 2 loads of my own laundry, then washed every linen in the house (beds linens and towels), and cleaned out the laundry room from floor to ceiling-- including organizing the shelving units in there. After folding the laundry, I decided that I wasn't done. So, I went and got all of the adorable baby clothes together, cut the tags off of the littlest clothes (0-3, 3-6 month stuff) & baby blankets and washed them in the baby detergent (for sensitive skin). Then I hauled them upstairs (2 loads :) and folded them in the nursery. Meanwhile, Boomer, who had it all right in terms of his need to make it a lazy day, moved his furry self from the couch to the bed in the baby's room. He plopped himself on the bed while I folded all the clean baby clothes and put away the blankets.
Seriously, what the heck got into me? I made myself stop after this-- short of cleaning out the closet in the baby's room, which I'll save for my next silly burst of energy. Hilarious!

1 comment:
Dearest Kris,
if it is absolutely necessary, i have so much nesting that can be done down in Dayton....feel free.
KIDDING!
I think it's great,a nd yes i remember the nesting times, it si really a need to be "ready". Cant wait either.
Love
mamma G
Post a Comment