Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We'll call this post "Belly Perks"

I know as I get closer to the exciting delivery day, that I'll get less and less comfortable as the belly gets bigger and bigger. I remember my close girlfriends going through this--- and no one seems to avoid the effects of a baby's "expansion" in the final weeks of pregnancy. So, I am quite certain there will be times in the very near future (ahem, like tomorrow), when I may find myself complaining (probably even writing about), my "belly aches" as they progress.

But first, I wanted to point out that there are some really neat things about being 9 months pregnant and the baby bump that accompanies this state. Yes, I'm serious, the belly has a couple of advantages....and I'm thinking now is a perfectly good time to share them.

1) Random Smiles from complete strangers. Granted, they my look at your belly before glancing at your face, but still, its nice to exchange smiles as opposed to apathetic walk-bys.

2) You can fold laundry standing up, using your belly and a folding tool for shirts and just about anything. You no longer need a table-- your perfect folding "ledge" is with you always.

3) Everyone offers you a seat-- even when you would really prefer to stand. We had a large group meeting at work a few weeks ago-- the room was packed and all the seats were taken. I walked into the meeting and I might as well have been the Queen of England, cause about 14 people stood up and insisted I take their seat. I'm not saying I prefer this kind of royal treatment, but rather that I appreciate the nice gestures people make, especially when I never ask for them

4) Baby hiccups and movements, which are more pronounced and visable due to the space restrictions imposed upon Little B, make you giggle and smile. You can be having a blasse day or a great day....you can be sound asleep and then awakened by the motions, but they never feel annoying and ALWAYS put a smile on your face. I'm serious about this-- I caught my cheek muscles moving the corners my mouth into a smile when I was half asleep and Little B decided to do some exercises in the middle of the night.

5) People offer to help you with you not even asking or really needing it. They're just nicer. Case in point... I had 4 associates ask me if I needed any help while in Lowes for only 20 minutes-- and they weren't trying to be annoying or intrusive, but instead seemed genuine. Another person offered to load an item in the the back of our Jeep because it "looked bulky." I haven't opened a door for myself while in the company of others in a long time.

6) And finally, people say nice things about your appearance. "You look great" "You're glowing"...I think part of the reason pregnant women tend to glow is because everyone is so freakin nice to them-- it can make you a bit giddy.

Anyway, these are just some nice things I've noticed as my belly rapidly increases in size. Yes, I do feel a bit uncomfortable-- more so every day--- but there are some perks to the bump. The biggest one, of course, is Little B!


baby on board Pictures, Images and Photos


p.s. A special congrats to a dear family friend, Kristen, and her husband, Keith, who just welcomed a baby boy yesterday. Congrats Kristen-- so happy for you and your family! Welcome John Logan! Can't wait to hear all about it & glad to know that you're all doing well :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't had the chance to leave any comments, but I wanted to say that I miss you! When ever I talk about someone being pregnant, i still say "my boss" I wish you still were :) But school is going well.

As for perdictions, here are mine (and keep in mind that I haven't seen you in a couple of weeks...:))
1. I think Little B will arrive before Thanksgiving, I'm going to say 11/11/08 (I don't know, it seems lucky...11:11 make a wish)
2. Little B will weight about 6lbs 8oz (not sure, that's how much I weighed though)
3. How long? I have no idea...umm what's normal? I'm going to go with 13 inches? is that normal?
4. Oh and is little B going to be a little baby boy or a little baby girl? I really want Little B to be a baby girl, but I have a feeling Little B might be a baby boy. Either way, I couldn't be happier for you!

Miss you!
Jill

Kris said...

Jill you are too cute. I miss you too :) Thanks for your prediction and for writing :) I'll shoot you an email this weekend so we can catch up. You're gonna be such a great teacher-- although we miss you tons at work, I'm really excited for what you're pursuing.