Monday, August 11, 2008

The Syrup Test is Over

I'm not sure how much detail I want to go into-- as I like to keep this website as positive as possible. So, the nicest thing I can say about this morning is that its over. I can also say that the technician who took my blood (8 times) was really nice. The other...hopefully...good thing from today (positive thinking here) will be that they find out I don't have Gestational Diabetes. That's about all for the niceties.

I got there at 7:30a...got my blood drawn for the "pre-crazy sugar drink intake" reading. Then was given 100mL of this tastey (said as sarcastically as possible, mind you) syrup that is supposed to taste like Orange Crush, but instead tastes like liquid sugarcane. Had to drink it all within 5 minutes and keep it down. Drinking it didn't prove to be the hardest part-- keeping it down did. I was doing great (minus the heart racing, dizzy, "I can feel the blood pumping through my veins," and queasy sensations that emerged about 15 minutes after I drank the loverly potion. They take blood at 30 minute intervals. I made it to Prick #2 and then, that last feeling-- the queasy one-- got the best of me. And, back up it came.

So, they stopped the test and gave me the option of coming back tomorrow to repeat or waiting 15 minutes and restarting the test today. Since I'm one of those "lets push through and get through this now" kind of people, I opted for option #2. I then drank Goo #2....and mentally stapled shut my mouth. I'll spare the details and get to the main point...I was able to keep the liquid where it needed to be. By 12:40, 6 pokes later, I was done.

Now we wait-- and think positive. No matter what, the test is behind me and I'm so thankful for the very proactive care I am getting. No matter what the results say, I'm confident that everything will work out fine. I have a great team of doctors working with me, and am now on a first name basis with the lab technicians. Little B & Me....we'll be just fine.

I'm still hoping for the nicest comment of all from this whole experience....the "Hi Kristin, its Dr Peskin's Office-- Your test results came back and you don't have gestational diabetes." I can hear it already :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOPS
Orange soda used to be my favorite drink!

GREAT job Kris......... you are the champ.
Love
mamma g