Monday, August 25, 2008

Questions From My 5-yr-old Niece

I absolutely love spending time with Cameron. Her thought process about pregnancy is so innocently refreshing, that it puts a big smile on my face from ear to ear. Don't get me wrong, I am totally saving the big birds and the bees conversation for her parents...and break out in a cold sweat when she asks questions that go remotely near such a conversation. For now, though, I just love her couriosity about what is going on with this baby in my belly. It gets better every time I see her.

This weekend, she had a whole lotta questions-- mostly because now I really look like there's a baby in my belly and also because she's had a lot of time to think about what might be going on. One of the things I love most about her is how she lives in the moment--- and a lot of her focus in many moments of this weekend was Little B.

Just exactly what questions and activities am I referring to? Here are some of the questions she asked:

Q: Where does the baby sleep in my belly?
A: He/She sleeps under my ribs-- they act like a tent to give her/him a nice place to sleep.

Q: What does baby do in my belly when she's not sleeping? (FYI, she's convinced we're having a girl)
A: He/She spends a lot of time swimming in my belly when she's awake.

Q: How big is the swimming pool in your belly? Can she jump in it?
A: Its big enough for her to swim around and here's what's really cool-- it gets bigger as she gets bigger

Q: Is baby a good swimmer already?
A: Yes. She can do flips and push off of the sides to swim. You can even feel her/him kicking in the water

Q: What are baby's favorite foods? How does she eat?
A: She eats after I do-- and pretty much likes the things I like.

Q: So, she eats like a little bird eats...with the mommy bird eating it first so its in small pieces for her?
A: Yep-- that's about right.

Q: Does baby like Apple Juice?
A: Little B really likes Apple Juice and lemonade.

Q: Does the baby take a shower or a bath? I think this is b/c she got an invitation to one of my showers...think literally
A: Well, I think babies take baths, but sometimes friends and family shower the baby with gifts-- and you'll get to be a part of that. But the baby won't be at that party. She'lll/He'll arrive later, but the presents help Uncle Mike & I get everything ready.

Q: How much longer til the baby gets out of your belly?
A: About 3 months. (To which she responds "3 months? That's way too long!...I agree :)

Q: How does the baby get out of your belly?
A: (Ummmmm) Ya know, my doctor hasn't told me how that happens yet, so I don't quite know.

Time to change the subject...."Cam, you wanna watch a movie?!?!" Seriously though, the conversations we had this weekend were so cute. I really had fun coming up with as many quick, but mostly accurate responses. Its pretty clear that this baby is going to have some very close cousins who really look out for him/her.

At one point, at dinner on Sunday, she took out her magic wand (from her fairy dress up outfit) and said "Bippity Boppity Boo, Its Time for Baby to Come Through" as she tapped the wand on my stomache. Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!!! congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

That's my little honey bunch...she just has an innocent need to know why and how and when EVERYTHING happens. Gotta love her.