Thursday, August 14, 2008

Classes, classes & more classes...

Realizing that we have a lot to learn come November, we've decided to sign up for some practical classes. Ironically, they all start with B! Between birthing, breastfeeding, baptism & baby safety care classes, we're gonna be quite BUSY over the next 2 months.

I've heard and read many different opinions on whether or not to take "get ready for baby classes" as I like to call them. Some have taken weekly classes to learn specific strategies. Others have participated in a "quick" all inclusive birthing education session. Some just read, but didn't take any formal classes....while others took every class they could get enrolled in.

The one underlying common theme all of my friends (and books) mention is to go into childbirth and parenting with a very open mind. I'm all about that-- even as an intense planner and goal setter, I realize how important it is to let things develop naturally. I can't (and won't) let myself be a control freak. I wouldn't call this concept being overly laid back, but rather adjusting to each situation as it approaches and handling it as we see fit.

I'm not going to write out a birth plan because there are so many variables. I'm going to take a "lets get educated on our options and go with what feels right" mentality. Hence, the classes and all the reading. I hope to learn some helpful hints as I develop the strategy that is right for me, Mike & Little B, but also realize that instincts will also kick in-- and need to be incorporated as well.

So-- here's our Fall Class Schedule (if only we were back at the beloved OU :)

Wed, Sept 10th & 17th: Childbirth Prep Class (we're doin the 2-day "fast track")
Thurs, Sept 11th: Breastfeeding Class (as this is all unchartered territory)
Thurs, Sept 25th: Baby Care & Safety Basics (i.e. Infant CPR, when to call the doctor, etc)
Monday Oct 20th: Baptism Class (I'm thinking this will be the least frightening of them all...wink wink)
Sunday, Oct 26th: Hospital Tour & Registration (I won't be filling out registration paperwork in between contractions :)

If anything, some of them will help us learn and memorize the route to the hospital, as we'll be doing that a couple of times. Ha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear little B, and mamma and papa B,
yes go to a few classes it wont hurt, but you tow are great intelligent parents, have 2 even MORE intelligent grandmothers and lots of common sense.... take it as easy as you can, relax, smile, do learn about diaper rashes and post the doctor sign big time on the fridge........
Little B, most of all know more than all of us combined...... they are a miracle of God, science and love.........
Mamma/nonna G
i wish to know this little creature well..........
love you all
Mamma Gianna

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder how any of my generation's and previous generaton's children ever survived. Advances in science and technology are very helpful in many instances. However, there are as many ways to rear children as there are children. And the "experts" aren't always right...just as those who thought Dr. Spock's book was the "Bible" of child rearing. Just do what feels best for you and remember that no way is best for everyone...you have to be comfortable with what you do. As long as Little B feels the warmth of love, all will be well.

Kris said...

Its fun to learn different perspectives-- and then create your own from what you've learned-- and more importantly, what you experience. We're excited :)

I figure that the more we learn, the more perspective we can offer. It should be fun :)