There will soon be new pants making a grand entrance into my closet...of the maternity variety. Although a bump hasn't yet really popped, there's definitely somethin' goin on in my belly b/c its bigger below the belly button. And that's fantastic! What's not so fantastic is the lack of comfort I'm getting from my pants. So, bye bye trousers, jeans and dress pants....at least for awhile.
I must say that maternity wear is WAY better than it used ot be. We've come a long way baby, literally. No more moomoos and elastic banded pants in g-d awful colors that look like a 5 year old sewed them. There are actually some hip items that don't look that bad--- and are way comfortable (and at this stage, comfort is key).
What did surprise me is the price that some of these, ahem, "hip" mom-to-be clothes cost. Where's the middle ground? You either get the "I'm a cute pair of pants made so poorly that I don't expect to be worn more than a month" or the "I'm the coolest thing ever b/c I'm a really expensive designer and XYZ celebrity wears me around her bump so I'm ridiculously overpriced." Seriously, you can get pants for $10....or for $250. But looking for reasonable price tags and well made quality--- not such an easy task. Can somone please give me directions to middle of the road "I'm a good pair of flattering pants that are comfortable AND modestly priced?"
Thankfully, I'm really only dealing with this on pants b/c as I've dicussed earlier, the regular tops out there in fashion land are so flowy and roomy that they are working just fine right now and for the forseeable future.
And on another good note, I think I have found the "Middle Road of Maternity Pants." Its a place called the internet and online stores with excellent return policies. The policies are key...as are hitting the good retailers when they have great sales. By doing this, I've been able to get some terrific stuff and wonderful prices (and haven't had to drive all over the free world to find stores and try on items. I always look for deals...and have found them on APeaInThePod.com, MimiMaternity.com, AnnTaylorLoft.com and Nordstroms.com. Again, I stress the importance of waiting for sales-- that's key.
Oh, and there are 2 pretty cool new concepts in Mom-To-Be Wear.....Bella Bands & the Secret Fit Belly. I'm a big fan of both. Bella Bands are these fabric bands that you wear over your opened regular pants. They look like you're going for the "layered look" with your top buy actually extend the life of your regular pants. The Secret Fit Belly is a concept patented by MimiMaternity that allows pants to fit normally up to your hips and then they have this stretchy, but fitting lycra like fabric that "secretly fits over your belly." Its sounds run of the mill, but the coolest part is that it works for a very wide variety of pregnant bellies....from me, who barely has a bump to me later, with a really big bump. All in a single, comfortable pant that you don't have to pull up every 5 minutes. I heart the Secret Fit Belly.
Then having a super tailor is also a must (and their affordability is also a factor). Shockingly, a lot of the pants I've ordered come with 33 - 34 inch inseams. Um, my husband is 6'4" and I think thats his leg length?!?! I guess there are preggers that are as tall as him, so that's why they make them this size? Anyway, I found a tailor who hems pants on the spot and only charges $5 a leg. Sign me up!
I'm gonna be a lot more comfortable next week. That's for sure! This is quite enough on maternity fashion--- didn't know I had all this info to share, but apparently I did.
Have a safe, enjoyable Memorial Day everyone!!! I'm off to spend time with family in Columbus. Can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hello Kris, this is Mamma G.....
although i am posted as "anonymous".
I wish you would share with me your shopping stores,,, hey some of us Mom Not exactly preg. at teh time could use some of the same pants? lol lol
And by the way speaking of Turkey day... is will be "this" grandma's birthday that verys ame day :):):) Hint hint.
I am still sticking with the 24th :)
Love you
Mamma G.
Hey, it's Kramer...a rubberband around the button and into the loophole also works if you have a long enough top to cover. It can give you and extra four or five inches in the waist...yes, a little hillbilly, but works nonetheless. I also found Motherhood, Old Navy, and Target to have a few hit or miss clothing items for good prices! PS: I WILL find my maternity stash for you....
Thanks Kramer :) You're a peach. Appreciate the advice. Its not hillbilly-- its practical. That's kinda the concept of the Bella Bands...I wish i would've thought of that invention. Hmmm, I'd be on a beach right now....
Mamma G-
It should be an exciting Turkey Day and I'm rooting for Little B to make his/her debut before then. The stores I've been frequenting online are Ann Taylor Loft & Mimi Maternity (part of Destination Maternity.com). Their sale stuff is pretty decent.
Post a Comment