Sunday, November 2, 2008

We're not very good at "taking it easy"

Remember a few weekends ago when I mentioned that "we wouldn't be doing anymore road trps out of town so that we could rest and relax at home? Well, I was right about something- we haven't been travelling out of town. However, I think we've discovered something about ourselves-- we're not really good at getting R&R. Turns out, I still have a lot of energy (granted it comes and goes) so we haven't really mastered the "relaxing" part.

At my doctors appointment on Friday, I came to the revelation that Little B is going to be awhile. In fact, when I look at the peapod ticker, I have a sinking feeling that its going to hit "0 Days to Go" and stay there-- for at least a week before we welcome Little B into the world. I'm actually, kinda, more okay with this than I thought I'd be. If, indeed, Little B is "quite comfortable where he/she is," I'm okay with it* (*=unless its Thanksgiving and Little B isn't here yet-- then I'm not gonna be a happy camper). My doctor said that I can keep my activity level up as much as possible, as sometimes this helps initiate labor. So, we decided to load up our schedule this weekend, even if we were in town.

On Friday night, we went to our friends Andy & Jenn's house to watch Hannah go trick-or-treating and hang out with them for the evening. We had a great time just catching up, remembering old times, and spending time with Hannah, who is now a little over a year old. By the way, Hannah may have been the cutest monkey ever for Halloween. I can't wait for a few years into the future when our child is playing with theirs...it'll be really nice. We've been friends with them for a long time...both moving up from Cincinnati to Cleveland at about the same time as Andy & Mike met eachother through work. Over time, our friendship has really grown-- and its just a wonderful thing. Jenn, as well as my other friends who are moms, has been such a great source of advice and support. We're quite lucky.

Then, on Saturday, we ran a bunch of errands, went out to lunch, cleaned the house, did the rest of Little B's laundry (so the 0-3 month clothes are all ready to go) and then took a nap. That night, we picked up another couple that Mike works with and went to a Halloween Party about an hour away at a coworkers home. It was really nice to get out and spend time with some of the people that Mike works with-- and their spouses too. We came home at about 11:30 (which is a late night for me:). Kevin, Collette, Calvin & Cameron (along with their dogs) were already at our house when we got home. They came up to spend today with us....one last weekend to spend time together before our newest edition arrives.

This morning, we all woke up pretty early, the dogs went to the park, we played Wii, and then Calvin & Collette went to the Browns/Ravens game. While they went to the game, Mike took Cameron out to a special breakfast and Kevin & I went to have a nice "Brother/Sister Celebratory Breakfast by ourselves. It was a really great morning. We talked about how cool it was that Mike & I were about to embark on parenthood. He and Collette have been some of our closest confidants throughout all of the tests, and planning, and, well, the entire process that has gotten us to this wonderful milestone. He and I sat across the table from eachother and said just about the same thing at the same time: "Can't believe this day is so close." In some ways, its seems like a long journey, but on the other hand, it seems like its moved by. At just about this time last year (I believe it was late October), we were really entering the process of finding "Team Stork," (including the right groups of doctors and specialists, a donor agency that we felt very comfortable with, and the ideal donor for us). Now, a year later, we're just about to realize the result that we were seeking. Its only a few weeks away.

After breakfast, we met up with Mike & Cameron back at the house. Kev & Mike huddled to watch football and Cameron & I went off to have the 1st annual "Goddaughter Appreciation Afternoon." We went to the Painted Penguin and painted figurines for Cameron to give to family at Christmas. Then, we got hot cocoa and walked through the mall. We found some books that Cameron thought Little B would like and purchased the ones that were on sale. Then, we found some new Webkinz....one for Cameron, one for Calvin and then Cameron found the alligator that her mom REALLY wanted. Lets just say that Cameron has a very bright future in sales-- they all came home with us. Then, we went back to the art store to pick up the 8 figures that we painted together. They all turned out just great and will surely be hits at the holidays. Cam was super appreciative of everything...thanking me many times. She even said "I'm really glad I have aunts and uncles--- you're so good to me"

I'm really thankful that Kevin & Collette made the decision to move back to Ohio last year. When they were living in other states, we only were able to see them and the kids once or twice a year. Now, we see them almost every month-- sometimes multiple times in a month. Its just, flat-out nice to have them an hour and forty-five minutes away. And I'm thinking this is only going to get better once Little B gets here

So, yes, we were in town this weekend, but we didn't at all take it easy. We made the most of the time we had with friends and family (even the extra hour we got for daylight savings). There will be plenty of time to take it easy...and I am following my body's cues...they all just happened to point to "lets do this ________ (insert 18 activities here)" this weekend. I am relaxing with my feet up on the couch now.....does that count for R&R?!?!?

Sleep Pictures, Images and Photos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, nothing like a weekend full of friends and special family moments to remind us of how fortunate we are. Special, very special.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE, pretty please... can we still consider a baby on the 27 to match Nonna's birthday????
I know it's asking a lot..mmmm..it's only an other 23 days lol!
Love
Mamma G

Kris said...

ummm...if Little B lasts 23 more days in Hotel W, I may loose my mind. Im getting (on average) 5 hours of sleep a night, so I'm afraid for my sanity if this fgoes on for 23 more days :) As much as I like to be as accomodating as possible to those I care about, I'm rooting for a (much) earlier arrival.