Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Our little winter wonderland


Remember how I said I was going to be going into work today? Well, I didn't end up doing so. I woke up at about 4:30am with some consistent, yet decently spaced out contractions. I got up and walked around, then took a long shower, then laid back down. The contractions really didn't change. Early this morning, they were coming about 12 minutes apart. Keep in mind though that although they have been consistent, they are not painful...so these are clearly the early ones. So, it makes you wonder if this is false labor or very early labor. The truth is that its really hard to tell until you're looking back at it all (either still waiting to hold your baby or actually cuddling with them as they've arrived within 48 hours or so etc).

By 9a, they started hovering around 10 minutes apart, so I called my doctor to let them know. They've been very, very, very calm and helpful all day. They agreed that I should stay home with someone (Mike is here) and wait to see how things progress. Many times, this is exactly the type of slow progressing labor that they like to see...especially with women expecting their first child. So, that's what we've been doing all day. Its been snowing-- creating a rather peaceful scene. We went to the mall to get in a bunch of walking to keep things going. We grabbed lunch and did some more holiday shopping--- we're almost all done, which is a record for me. Mike got a haircut. I think we now have explored every inch of Southpark Mall. I'm also certain that Mike has spent more time in the mall over the past 3 weeks than he has cumulatively in his entire life.


Then we headed back home and have spent the afternoon relaxing. Our bags are packed-- even one for Little B. Our house is adequately straightened up. Boomer is totaly confused...he can't understand why there are packed bags and yet we're all just lounging around here. He doesn't seem to mind the extra cuddling and company. We've spent the afternoon in the great room, listening to music while reading. The view out the window is just beautiful...a little winter wonderland that is surprisingly calming---even though we may have to drive through it to get to the hospital....but up here, you really don't need to worry about the roads. They do just a wonderful job clearing them.

At our doctor's request, we checked back in with them around 4p. By then, my contractions really hadn't sped up too much-- we've been hovering around 9 minutes apart. The nurse practioner said this is really good. Slow, steady and consistent progress is ideal. With each one, just the right amount of headway gets made without stressing out me or Little B too much. She mentioned that this could go on for 24 hours or more, so we're most likely going to be staying home tonight. In my opinion (not that I have any experience :P, but...), its much better to go through this stage at home as opposed to in a hospital room that can end up feeling like a cage by the end of all this. Obviously, if I start to feel painful contractions or experience any of the other items on the "Call your OB/GYN When _______" List, we're to call the doctor on call and get instructions from them.

As much as we can't wait to meet Little B, we're both amazingly calm about all of this. We don't want to rush the baby here and am actually glad that progress is being made in this manner. I have an appointment tomorrow at 11a, so if things don't move into "go-mode" status tonight (and my gut is telling me they wont overnight), then we'll definitely have news then. Here are some photos from today...

No comments: