Thursday, January 3, 2008

Determined to change what the "F" stands for in Fertiliy Treatments

I just wanna get ritght to the point. Why are the word "infertility" and the phrase "infertility treatments" so hush hush? I don't understad the implied taboo. Seriously, I'm not glad I'm in the position that I'm in and have to seek the help of a clinic--- but more importantly, I'm not at all ashamed or embarrassed by it. Not one bit.

In fact, just the act of being able to think about getting pregnant is like a mini badge of female honor for me. I'm quite proud of how Mike and I have held up-- and faced our procreation reality together.

Afterall, there are a couple of advantages:

1) We're really close. Yes, the silver lining of what we faced (especially my surgery) was how close we've become. In fact, Mike has been very careful in not letting us get into a "woe is me" status. We often talk about how every couple has their own hardships to deal with. This is ours, but we're no better or worse off than any other couple.

2) We've planned for this possible pregnancy. Maybe even overplanned (just a little?). We've been saving for years. Every month, we set aside money towards a savings account to py for our IVF and donor fees outright.

3) We'll been through a bunch of tests-- and know that we are in perfect health. We've passed pyscological evaluations, medical screens, and have tested negative for just about every disease a person could have. Accept for the minor fact that I no longer have any ovaries, we're completely set. We may have paid for it, but have gotten a really clean bill of health.

4) We get to work with some of the best specialists the country has to offer-- and will be closely watched both before and after our IVF transfer.
(and circled twice)

5) There will be no guessing on our conception date-- and therefore, no guessing on our possible due date. Ha! We have that day triple starred on our calendar

6) There are a bunch of well-wishers who are rooting for us in ways we don't even realize. We never kept any details of my surgery away from close family and friends. There are no secrets. Instead, there are only close supporters who are sending hopeful thought our way. That's a lot of relief. So glad we were open then, as its allowed others to be somewhat connected to what we've been planning in terms of starting a family.

This leads me to the title of this post. Couples should invite people to rally around them when they face infertility--- not be fearful or borderline humiliated by having to undergo fertility treatments. I'm here to say that you aren't alone--- and you won't feel alone if you let others in. That's all. Its just my little opinion. I just wish that others could feel the support we feel as we take these first steps towards IVF.

Some people associate the "F" in fertility with frustration. We're determined to make that "F" stand for as much "FUN" as we can have while experiencing it. We're going to keep our spirits realistically positve and try to find some fun in every milestone of the process.

fun

No comments: