Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Beginning

Well, this is sort of meant to be a chronicle of our pursuit to have a baby. Our stork may not be a typical one, which is why I'd like to have a venue to post the thoughts that pop into my mind, write about the emotions that I encounter, and remember the experience--whatever the result.

Many people cope with what we're facing--- and have to find a different way to get a stork to pay a visit. We've been very open about our situation. About 5 years ago, literally 5 months before we got married, a rather massive, conjoined set of ovarian tumors caused me to have emergency surgery. Luckily, it wasn't ovarian cancer--which was what the doctors feared I was facing. They had to remove both of my ovaries, but I was cancer free. Although it was a bit traumatic, we feel blessed for my health.

It was a scary experience, but also a time when loved ones rallied around me--and that is what I have taken from the whole medical ordeal. I'm lucky to have an amazing support zone. And as for M, he's pretty spectacular. You know you love someone...but then you go through something like what we faced before our wedding, and you know exactly why you love someone so much.

We are both big 'family' people and have always known that we wanted kids. In our case, our 'pursuit of preggers' would just need to be a little different...sans ovaries. Yes-- we would have a non-traditional route towards creating a family. Luckily, I have everything else that a girl needs to have a baby and, using an egg donor, we can get pregnant. So, fast forward 5 years...and now we're walking down this new path.

That's what this blog is all about. We're 'Stork Hopefuls'...hence the name of this crazy collection of thoughts / narration of the process from the trenches. I stress the word HOPE. I'm not ashamed of the situation clinically called "female type infertility." Quite frankly, I'm proud of the way M & I have faced it square on. And we're being both realistic and positive as we try to start a family. We're well aware that this journey is going to be a tough one, having some sad parts and HOPEfully some happy segments too. Welcome to our chronicle of hope in pursuit of preggers.

No comments: